Azure Migrate is your central place in the Azure portal that provides a unified experience to discover, assess, and migrate your servers, databases, and web apps to Azure. With a range of options across IaaS, PaaS, CaaS, and Serverless, Azure provides best-in-class flexibility and choice of platforms for your migrated workloads. With Azure Migrate we are making it easier than ever to migrate your applications to the Azure platform that best suits your business requirements. Last week we announced multiple enhancements to the App Containerization tool to help customers looking to adopt containers to run their migrated workloads. Today, we are announcing the preview of at-scale, agentless discovery, and assessment of ASP.NET web apps to help you migrate ASP.NET web apps and run them natively on Azure App Service.
With this preview, you can now easily discover ASP.NET web apps running on Internet Information Services (IIS) servers in a VMware environment and assess them for migration to Azure App Service. Assessments will help you determine the migration readiness of the web apps, migration blockers and remediation guidance, recommended SKU, and cost of hosting your web apps in App Service.
Unified onboarding for servers, databases, and web apps
Azure Migrate appliance for VMware helps with discovery, assessment, software inventory, application dependency analysis, and migration.
- Deploy a new Azure Migrate on-premises appliance or upgrade your existing appliance to start discovering your ASP.NET web apps. You can also use the appliance to inventory installed software and perform agentless dependency analysis.
- You do not need to provide separate credentials for web apps discovery. Credentials provided for dependency analysis are sufficient for web apps discovery. Please note that the account used should have local admin privileges on the source server to use these features.
- You can provide multiple credentials (domain, non-domain, and SQL authentication) for discovery. Azure Migrate appliance will automatically map server and database credentials across the entire estate. Moreover, credentials are encrypted and stored on your appliance in your datacenter. Credentials are not sent to Microsoft.
Web apps discovery
- You can discover up to 20,000 web apps with one Azure Migrate appliance.
- Web apps discovery surfaces information such as web app name, web server type and version, framework, URL, binding port, and application pool.
- You can also use the agentless dependency analysis feature to identify application tiers or interdependent applications. This information is useful when you need to plan migration for interdependent servers.
Azure App Service assessment and cost planning
Azure Migrate assessments provide you rightsizing and migration readiness recommendations. Once you have discovered your entire estate, you can start creating assessments for Azure IaaS, Azure VMware Solution, and Azure SQL. Now, you will also be able to create at-scale assessments of your web apps to determine their readiness for migration to Azure App Service, and to get recommended SKU, and cost details.
- You can customize assessments as per your requirements with the ability to customize assessment properties like target Azure region, application isolation requirements, and reserved instance pricing.
- You’ll get best-fit recommendations for the App Service SKU that the web app should be migrated to.
- In addition to migration readiness information, blockers and issues are surfaced so that you can mitigate them as needed.
- You can also modify assessment inputs at any time or create multiple assessments for the same set of web apps to compare and identify the target Azure options that work best for you.
Check out our skilling video to see the new features in action.
Azure Migrate is free and available in all Azure geographies. Get started with Azure Migrate now.
Source: Azure Blog Feed